I hope you've read my How to Be Safe on the Web post. If not, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, click January 2014, and look for the post name. I recommend reading that before reading this post.
Anyway, as you can see in the title, we will be talking about social networks/networking.
Social networking is a great skill to learn. It teaches you to be safe on the web, and also socially helps you meet new friends. Downfalls to social networking is that you may get addicted to the website, and won't want to go make friends you can actually SEE. Some girls agree it's easier to make online friends, and that's cool, but never forget to get outdoors!
Now, here are some rules of social networking you should remember and understand:
1. Do not chat with people you don't know
2. Do not add someone you don't know without parent permission
3. Never invite a stranger to your house or give them your phone number, without parent permission
4. Always ask before going onto your online network
5. Be careful in chat rooms. If the conversation is getting inappropriate, mean, or rude, immediately leave.
6. NEVER VIDEO CHAT WITH STRANGERS
7. Do not secretly sign up for different programs, especially when you are told not to (I will discuss this topic more in another post)
To sum it up: Always ask a parent or trusted adult about something you're unsure about online.
Here are some safe social networks and that are secure and safe. Please ask an adult before signing up:
Have fun online, girls!